Universal Audio announces today a new DAW – LUNA Recording System that will be available for free for Apollo and Arrow interface owners.
Luna is a full-featured creative suite for recording that follows an analog-style production system. Additionally, the DAW will feature built-in Neve summing, tape emulation and new software-based instruments!
As Luna is tightly integrated with Apollo and Arrow interfaces, audio routing is extremely easy.
- full featured DAW w/unlimited tracks
- available only for MacOS.
- works only with Apollo (any thunderbolt version) or Arrow. LUNA will not open sessions without an Apollo/Arrow connected
- easy audio routing and audio setup for Apollo and Arrow users
- access UAD plugins with no noticeable latency thanks to Accellerated Monitoring Feature (no audio buffer settings, everything is set automatically to get the minimal latency)
- built-in Neve summing mixer based on Neve 80-Series consoles
- mixer that remotely controls Apollo (gain on input and outputs, Unison preamps)
- multitrack tape emulation based on Oxide plugin + Apollo and Arrow users can purchase an optional A800 Tape Recording Extension (extensions run natively, not using UAD DSP)
- Virtual instruments designed by UA: Moog Minimoog, Ravel Grand Piano (Steinway Model B), Shape toolkit (a wide range of sampled instruments). Instruments are native (NOT using UAD DSP)
- Support of third party AU plugins – both instruments and effects
- Timestretch (2 proprietary algorithms developed by UA) and pitch shift audio in real time
- DAW will be available in Spring. Free for Apollo and Arrow users.
- requires iLok (honestly, I don’t understand why they use iLok, as it still requires UA hardware connected)
Press release by Universal Audio:
Universal Audio has introduced Luna Recording System, a full-featured music creation, recording, and analog-style production system shaped by over 60 years of analog audio exploration.
Luna transforms UA’s Apollo interfaces into a fully integrated recording system. Luna Recording System consists of a UA Thunderbolt-equipped audio interface, the Luna Application, Luna Extensions, and Luna Instruments.
Key Luna Recording System features include its deep Apollo interface integration, built-in Neve Summing, Multitrack Tape Emulation, and all-new Luna Instruments — UA’s long-awaited foray into software‑based instruments.
Deep Apollo Integration — Fast, Natural Workflow
Unlike traditional DAW software, Luna Recording System’s tight hardware-software integration allows quickly routing and recording audio through DSP-powered UAD plug-ins with no discernible latency via the new Accelerated Realtime Monitoring feature. Accelerated Realtime Monitoring is poised to be a major revelation for those unaccustomed to working on a $10k+ DSP-assisted recording system; music production will instantly seem more robust, dependable, and intuitive, without latency or monitoring hassles.
Built-In Neve Summing — Instant Classic Console Sound
Luna Recording System offers precisely emulated audio summing circuitry from the Neve 80-Series audio mixing consoles designed by Neve Electronics in the 1960s and early 1970s, featuring the harmonically rich sound of the Neve 1272 summing amplifier. Far beyond a “summing plug-in,” Neve Summing is a Luna Extension built-in to the fabric of Luna’s mixer — and can instantly transform a clean technical mix into a classic-sounding recording filled with energy and life.
Integrated Multitrack Tape — Warmth and Punch on Demand
Luna’s audio transport features integrated Multitrack Tape emulation via the included “Oxide” Luna Extension — providing sonic qualities commonly described by audio engineers as “warmth” and “cohesion” on every desired audio or instrument track. Luna Recording System users may choose to further explore various magnetic tape sounds with the optional Studer A800 Tape Recorder Extension (sold separately).
All-New Luna Instruments — Incredible Realism to Fuel Inspiration
Luna is further distinguished by all-new software-based Luna Instruments — bringing Universal Audio’s expertise in electrical and acoustic modeling, sampling, synthesis, and signal processing to virtual instruments for the first time ever. The resulting software instruments are ultra-realistic, responsive, and “alive” with inspiration.
At launch, available Luna Instruments will include:
- Moog Minimoog — developed in partnership with Moog Music, the Moog Minimoog is an accurate emulation of the archetypal 1971 Moog synthesizer.
- Ravel grand piano — a model of a Steinway Model B grand piano based on UA’s proprietary sampling, physical modeling, and new Ultra-Resonance technology — providing all the sonic nuance of this studio classic.
- Shape — a complete creative toolkit with vintage keys, drums/percussion, guitar/bass, orchestral content, and realtime synthesis, courtesy of Universal Audio, Spitfire Audio, Orange Tree Samples, Loops de la Creme, and more — included free in Luna.
Luna will be available as a free download for Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo and Arrow audio interface owners for macOS systems and is shipping in Spring 2020. Luna is not compatible with Apollo FireWire or Apollo Twin USB.